Wesley Chapel Road corridor study

The Town of Indian Trail, along with civil engineering and surveying firm DRMP, Inc., is working on a study regarding the future of the Wesley Chapel/Wesley Chapel Stouts Road corridor. The corridor runs from U.S. 74/Independence Boulevard to the Goldmine Road roundabout and passes through the Sun Valley area and past a number of neighborhoods.


Wesley Chapel road image
(Above)Click the image to open the Wesley Chapel Road Corridor Study PDF presentation.
(Below) Images of the Wesley Chapel Road corridor with potential improvements. Click image to enlarge.
Wesley Chapel Road from Goldmine to Fulton Ridge
Wesley Chapel Road from Fulton Ridge to Old Monroe Road
Wesley Chapel Road from Old Monroe Road to U.S. 74

The objective of the study is to develop a multimodal (cars, transit, pedestrians, cyclists) transportation plan that is complementary to the existing and future surrounding land uses while being practical and suitable for implementation by the Town. The plan will integrate existing and projected land use patterns with strategic transportation needs and improvements along Wesley Chapel (Stouts) Road to account for future growth and managing access and volumes. The plan will represent an overall vision for mobility and development along the corridor and will include implementation strategies and performance criteria that support the Town’s and community’s vision as well as the 2014 Town of Indian Trail Comprehensive Plan.

Wesley Chapel Road potential roundabout
(Above) The potential conceptual design of a roundabout that could be added at several intersections along the Wesley Chapel Road and Wesley Chapel Stouts Road corridor.

The Town has received a grant from the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO) that will pay for 80 percent, or $88,000, of the study. The Town is responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

Two public engagement meetings and two stakeholder advisory group meetings were held to gain public input on the study, with residents and others providing feedback on issues ranging from walkability to turning lanes and lighting along the corridor. Once the study is complete, the recommended corridor improvements may be considered for funding. The project is being discussed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation and CRTPO for ranking against other regional projects, which could accelerate the allocation of funds toward the project. There is no current timetable for when a project would begin.

Questions can be dire
cted to  Indian Trail Engineering Project Manager Todd Huntsinger at tdh@indiantrail.org or by mail at Town of Indian Trail, P.O. Box 2430, Indian Trail, NC 28079.